Friday, August 29, 2008

I want to thank you all for all the compassionate and kind words. It never ceases to amaze me how many wonderful friends I have as a result of knitting. You have been so kind and reassuring and I am very grateful. Not only have I gotten a lot of wonderful messages but have also had the opportunity to speak with some of you on the phone. Thanks Dru and LB!!

I am sure many of you can imagine what it was like to tell Emily about Arwen. She is 11 and was only 5 when Arwen became a part of our family so in a way they kinda grew up together. Arwen has always slept in Emily's room and has been her assurance that there are no Boogey men in the closet. She was my buddy all day and Emily's bodyguard at night (not to tough but she would bark). So after Arwen's passing Emily was as devastated as I was, so when she asked if we could find a new puppy I got right on it. Honestly I have to admit that I really didn't have the heart for it. The idea of going to look at a new puppy just didn't appeal to me at all. Emily's heart was breaking and all I could do was try to find a way to mend it a little. I agreed to take her to see puppies the next morning and yes I let her skip school, we both knew that she would only have spent the day crying anyway.

The next morning dawned and I woke up when I thought I heard Arwen bark. That kicked off my first spell of crying that morning. I got on the computer and saw that LB had been on and I knew she of all people would understand what I was feeling (I know that many of you would have also now). Druanna had been my shoulder the night before (Thank YOU) and now I called LB. She listened to me cry and talk about all I was missing and how awful my last 3 weeks had been. After I had cried and talked she said "Arwen will send you a new puppy to help you heal, and she will probably climb right up on your shoulders just like Arwen always did". Sorry LB but I really didn't take that to heart and thought it would never ever happen.

Soon it was time for Emily and I to leave and take the 2 hour drive to look at puppies. Two hours thinking and talking about Arwen. We shared many tears, talked about what a wonderful dog she was and how we will always miss her. Told each other stories about Arwen that we hadn't shared with each other before. We laughed, cried and just talked, one of those times I will never forget.

Originally we were supposed to be looking at 4 puppies but 2 had already gone to homes so there were only two left. When we first saw the puppies of course Emily was beside herself with excitement. She made her choice very quickly and 'Bella' was in her arms and and nuzzling against her neck within seconds, very fast friends. Bella's tail was wagging and Emily had a huge smile on her face. We put the other puppy back in it's cage and she immediately began to cry, I just had to get her back out. I took her and sat down in the car while I filled out some paperwork. Within seconds she had climbed up to my shoulder and settled herself down right around my neck JUST like Arwen had always done. I immediately began to cry....again. It was just like LB had said, I couldn't believe it, this little white puffball had gotten right into my heart with a wag of her tail and a simple snuggle around my neck. I called my poor husband with tears streaming down my face and told him how Emily had picked the Bella but this little girl had picked me. Poor guy not only had he lost his pet too but now here I was blubbering on the phone about getting 2 puppies, dirty pool my Dad told me later. It really wasn't at all fair to him, thank goodness he loves me so much.


Introducing Bella and Rosie. They are a real joy to have in the house and Rosie is very much like my Arwen. She loves to ride on my shoulders and is quickly becoming my shadow. They are both very happy and loving little girls. Although I truly did not think I was ready for a puppy I am very happy that I have them.


11 comments:

Lynne E. said...

Bella and Rosie -- they are so sweet! They'll help a lot with the tears, even though the tears will probably never completely go away.

Lynn said...

So cute. I'm so happy Arwen brought you to them.

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

Oh... puppy!! TWO puppies! <333

I'm so sorry about Arwen, somehow I missed that post and just found out now via this one. *HUGS* It's so hard to lose a beloved friend.

Eve said...

They are adorable. I'm so glad you got them. They can never take Arwen's place, but those sweet girls can sure help ease some of your heartache.

Nancy said...

Those are the cutiest little fluff balls! You are going to have such fun. I love their names also. I love Puppies!!!

Linda said...

Too cute! You are going to be very busy!

Linda

mary said...

I had tears in my eyes when I saw the new puppies.I know just how you feel.When our old dogs passed away,I came home with not one but two dogs too!They will help heal your heart and bring joy to your daughter.

Rebecca said...

Oh Stacy!! Bella and Rosie are precious and they will help you and Emily heal. I'm sure you are in for many more crying sessions but there will be a snuggly little ball of fluff there to reassure you both when it passes and they will become more infrequent as time goes by. Arwen will never be forgotten but new memories will be made. Rosie & Bella will create their own special places in your lives.

Tan said...

Thanks for sharing that beautiful story. LB is a wonderful friend and super enabler. I had no idea she was a puppy enabler as well as a yarn enabler, but she has many talents! The new girls are darling.

Knifty Knitter said...

So very cute! LB is right, Arwen sent them to you to help you out. She wouldn't want you and Emily to feel lonely.

Misty said...

I hate to hear about Arwen, I'd really hoped she'd pull through.

I love the new babies, they're sweethearts :) Isn't it amazing how our pets pick us? I'm sure Arwen sent you both so you'd be much too busy to be sad.